Aims and Ethos
At St Luke’s Church of England Primary School we aim to provide an ethos which is deeply Christian, whilst at the same time serving the common good within our community. We take the words from Ephesians 5.1: ’you must try to be like him. Your life must be controlled by love’ seriously and believe that all within our community should be able to flourish and achieve their full potential.
We realise this through the following areas:
High expectations, by all, for all, reflecting the example of Jesus
Through creating a physically and emotionally secure environment, we aim to develop children with active minds and bodies, an understanding of the world around them, compassion for others, and the courage and confidence to be themselves.
Our Aims and Objectives
As a Church School, St. Luke’s seeks to provide a safe environment of love, Christian precept and example within which children may develop, acquire skills and learn to make informed judgements. During their time at St. Luke’s it is our aim that children should:
- develop lively, enquiring minds and appreciate that there is a joy in all forms of learning and discovery
- be part of a culture that allows them to achieve their full potential
- be prepared for the society in which they will grow up, and develop an awareness of their own needs and those of others as well as the need for desirable social behaviour
- acquire skills of literacy, numeracy and effective means of communication
- gain a respect and appreciation of religious and moral values and embrace diversity in accordance with the teachings of the Church of England
- acquire an understanding of the world in which they live, its historical and physical background and a knowledge of human achievements and aspirations
- gain an ability in physical, artistic and intellectual skills
- learn skills relevant to adult life that will help them succeed in a fast-changing world
- acquire the skills necessary for lifelong learning
The school also aims to:
- provide a broad, balanced, enriched and inclusive curriculum for all pupils
- prepare children for the opportunities, responsibilities and experiences of secondary school education
- celebrate effort and achievement to enable people to flourish together
- provide teaching staff who have the expertise and interests to inspire confidence and motivate children with enthusiasm
- develop a parent-teacher partnership which supports the achievement of the school’s aims
- provide an inclusive, open culture for children and staff to work as a team in a positive, friendly and diverse community
- promote resilience and encourage children to embrace challenges
- support children’s health and wellbeing
- create a happy, safe and stimulating environment for the children
Our aim is that all our children have a wonderful experience throughout their time at St Luke’s – to know that they are safe, loved, respected and valued for their uniqueness and individuality. We want to develop and nurture talents and make sure all our children are excited about learning and about life.
Click here for more information about our Character Virtues.
Click here for more information about how we promote British Values.